Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Toronto part 2

I spoke with an Hockey Hall of Fame employee about the hall itself and the trophies therein. The information he gave was typical to museums everywhere. He told and showed me the trophy for the best defenseman in the National Hockey League. The Norris Trophy is misspelled "DEFANCE." That is the kind of trivial news I enjoy learning. We had a good chuckle about it. I had my picture taken with The Cup. I voiced and wrote my outrage over the exclusion of Paul Henderson from the hall. He scored the game winning goals in the last three games of the pivotal Summit Series in Moscow. The Soviet goalie, Tretiak, is in the hall. Henderson is not. Outrageous!
I walked around downtown Toronto and discovered terrific Chinese, Thai, and Indian restaurants. Terrific food. Went to a ball game that evening. Who won? Who cares? I had a hot dog and a beer and enjoyed good-natured ribbing with some Boston Red Sox fans. That is a baseball experience.
The treat of being in Toronto during the work week was fantastic. The hustle and flow of Bay Street, the pandemonium of a busy downtown. Where do all the people originate? Not even noon and the sidewalks were packed. Amazing.
The news on the radio was that Eric Clapton cancelled his concert in Detroit because he had a cold. At least the performance in Toronto went on as scheduled. Bruce managed to buy the last ticket TicketMaster had. Eric Clapton in Toronto; awesome. The Rolling Stones in Halifax, at the Commons, in the rain, on the same night. I prefer Clapton, enjoyed the show. Would liked to have seen the Stones, but I don't know how to be in two places at the same time. When I figure that out, I will use it infinitely.

Oops. I forgot... While in Toronto, I walked Canada's Walk of Fame and saw "Blue Man Group." I had seen them on television and think they are terrific performers. But, in real life they put on an interactive show with lots of audience participation. During one sketch which involved "jello' I got slimed. The show was non-stop action, surprises, music, and pandemonium. And it was a sell-out. It had been running for over a year and finally closed in May '07.

1 comment:

  1. Toronto has never been on the top of my 'to visit' list, but it does have some redeeming qualities. Sounds like you had a great vacation.

    ReplyDelete